Circa 1920 Haberdashery Shop String or Ribbon Dispenser.
Manufactured by P.P Paynes, Nottingham
A wonderfully robust yet decorative heavy duty string or ribbon dispenser that would have graced the counter of a haberdashers or iron mongers shop for the speedy wrapping of fancy goods in the days before plastic bags.
Designed to be on show, the cast iron base features a classical moulded frieze of Acanthus leaves. The spool of ribbon or string is held aloft between two spindles allowing it to rotate freely and the required length to be dispensed then cut safely using the slotted blade attachment at the the side.
The dispenser has been mounted on a heavy hardwood block for ease of use and portability, this could be removed allowing it to be screwed directly to a counter top. A clever adjusting mechanism allows spools of different widths to be accomodated simply by sliding one spindle to the required width then tighting the knurled nuts at the base.
P.P Payne & Sons, based in Nottingham were leaders in the their field, established in 1911 they went on to supply cotton tape and sleeving utilised by various industries.
The 1947 British Industries Fair catalogue carries an advert for Paynes Printed Fabric Labels and Printed Packaging Tapes.They are described as ''Manufacturers of Cotton Packaging Tapes, Plain and printed, 10 Widths, 100 Brilliant Colours. "Gift-Tie" Fancy Tapes in Outstanding Designs, Representatives in all countries'
Description courtesy of www.gracesguide.co.uk, an invaluable resource for anyone interested in the history of British engineering and manufacturuing.
£sold (including UK p&p)
DIMENSIONS: cast iron base 17cm x 10.5cm, Wooden plinth, 20.5cm x 16cm.
ORIGIN: Nottingham, UK
CONDITION: Good working order, some remnants of original green paintwork and manufacturers brass plaque.
STOCK: 1 available